Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Hidden Danger of Playgroup

Now don't get me wrong, I love playgroup. I go every Wednesday, and I truly look forward to seeing the other moms and having a conversation with someone who doesn't look at me and say "da da da la laaa", back! But I have discovered the hidden danger of playgroup- being around all those other babies, you can't help but start to compare your sweet little one to them.

Take for instance,little Gabe. He is a week older than Evan, and cute as can be. He is also crawling around and pulling up on things. Evan on the other hand, is quite content to just sit on the floor and stay where he is. In fact, I'm pretty sure he spent most of playgroup looking at Gabe like he had gone done and lost his mind. I mean, why would you want to move around anyway?!

Even though I know babies all develop at different paces, my mommy brain can't help but worry. Does this mean Evan is slow? Is something wrong with him? Is he destined to be below average? I know these are irrational fears. I know comparing is a terrible habit to get in to.

But I think as parents we can't help but compare. Not necessarily because we are competitive, but because we want reassurance that our kid is normal. We want to know that we are doing right by them, and that they are growing and developing on track with their peers. There is safety in numbers, after all.

I guess the thing I have to realise is that Evan is probably on track, it just isn't the same track the other babies are on. Instead of worrying that he is behind, I should enjoy watching him sit on the floor playing with his blocks, laughing at the dogs, and rolling like a madman. Even if he isn't the first baby at playgroup to crawl, he is still first place in my heart!

5 comments:

--cherry said...

what a sweetie he is!!...I used to do the same thing - my daughter is tiny - she's 2 1/2 and she only weighs 21 pounds. Whenever i used to see another little girl who looked like her age i would always compare them...then i stopped...and let me tell you - i've enjoyed her sooo much more. Just think, 'Evan's developing right on track - his own track!!'. Love the photo!! Great DOF!

Keri said...

im exactly in the same boat!! a friend of ours has a little boy 2 weeks younger than jackson and he is standing in his crib and crawling around -- jackson is definitely not doing that!! i guess what they say is true- every baby's different :)

great pictures - too cute!

Stephanie said...

He is such a cutey!!! Love that pudgey face!

Janice said...

Hi! My son Cameron, who is now 19 months was like your son - loved to just sit around and be content. He didn't crawl until he wa 10 months, believe it or not. I was always comparing him with other babies, but you know what, that only made me crazy. My daughter Ava is 7 months and is a little more mobile around the room only rolling, though. Don't worry, he'll be moving around before you know it - and then that'll be another story! Love your baby's photos!!! I'm very partial to big chubby cheeks! (I'm a friend of Owen's, by the way)

sarah said...

OMG! Welcome to my neurotic paranoid world! LOL I am the same way in our group! I keep reminding myself that once he does start crawling and walking and running (dear god!), I am going to long for the days when he used to be happy to just sit there and let the world come to him!