Mutual Adoration
They say you never appreciate your own parents until you have a child of your own, and I would have to agree. Until you have been up with a baby all night long, or changed your 10th dirty diaper of the day, or held them all day long because they won't have it any other way, you just can't understand that unconditional love that a parent has.
I love seeing my parents with Evan, partly because it is obvious how much they adore him, and the feeling is mutual. But I also like to see it, because I can imagine them with me when I was a baby. And suddenly I realise why they are always worrying about me.
I see the thought I put into every little thing for Evan (um, I think I spent at least a 1000 hours researching cloth diapers...I am not kidding here!) and I realise that my parents put the same thought and care into the decisions they made for me.
Raising a child is such a huge responsibility, and I just don't think you can truly appreciate it until you are doing it. So, thanks Mom and Dad. Thank you for loving me unconditionally and for putting so much care into everything you did for me. I can only hope that I can do as good of a job with Evan.
5 comments:
What a sweet post! Isn't it neat to see the bond with your folks and Evan? I'm amazed at the love-fest. I say that Jon David and my mom have a "thing." It's just between the two of them and it's nothing short of love, love, love. I especially liked the old pix of Evan since I'm new to the little guy. I've thought of posting some oldies but goodies for my new blogging friends. :) Maybe I will now... I added you to my friends list on my blog and would love for you to add Jon David to the list of Evan's friends! Too bad we can't meet up for a play date!
I now look at my parents in an entire new light since I've had my own kids. I hope I have my mom's patience!
Love what you wrote here. It is amazing how our relationship and our view of our parents changes with children. What an awesome thing!! Evan is absolutely adorable! I found you through Denise, and hope to find my way back! I enjoyed reading your blog!!
So sweet! You are exactly right. It just melts my heart to see Devin bonding with my parents and imagine myself there years ago.
That little look on his face in the second pictures is adorable!
Andrea, what a beautifully written post! Becoming a parent is like entering a whole new world and I never appreciated my parents either until I had my own children. I love seeing pictures of babies and their grandparents and these are definitley great keepsakes :-) .
Post a Comment