Sweet Dreams
When I brought Evan home from the hospital, I fully expected to have to get up with him at night. I figured it would be no problem, after-all, as any pregnant lady can tell you, you have already been waking up to use the bathroom at least a gazillion times a night. I thought I would nurse him, and lay him in his cradle, and get to sleep for a few hours before getting up again.
Boy was I wrong. I would nurse him to sleep, swaddle him up, lay him down gently in his cradle, and crawl in to bed for some much needed shut-eye. I would start to drift to sleep, and suddenly, my poor little guy would be crying. I would look at the clock, thinking it can't possibly have been 2 hours already, and sure enough- I was right. Try 10 minutes.
It only took a few nights of this for me to realise that this was not going to work. It was at this time that I made the decision to co-sleep. Evan would still wake frequently, but it was more like every 1-2 hours instead of every 10 minutes. I grew to love having his soft warm little body pressed up against me, and sometimes I would wake up just to hear him breathe.
We originally said we would transition him to his crib when he was 6 months old, but that deadline came and went, and Evan was nowhere near being ready. And neither were we. The family bed was a place to cuddle, to read, to watch our baby grow.
Months past, and the little baby next to me grew. I remember when his feet would curl perfectly into the indent of my stomach as I lay on my side nursing him. Then suddenly, one day, his toes were kicking me were it counts and it seemed like maybe we were outgrowing the snuggling.
When Evan was about one, he started going to bed at 8:00 every night in his own room. He would wake at 11 or 12, and we would all go to bed for the night together. It was a perfect arrangement, that allowed Chris and I some alone time, while we were still able to meet Evan's night time needs.
Well, one night, about a month ago, I waited and waited for my boy to wake up so he could join us in bed. Finally, around 1 am, I got too tired to wait. Imagine my surprise when he didn't wake up until 7:30 the next morning! And so the end of an era was upon us. He will still sleep with us if he is sick, but more nights than not he sleeps through the night in his own room. And I miss him.
It is nice to have my bed back, but I had grown accustomed to those cuddles. It took a few weeks for me not to wake up listening for him every 2 hours. I felt so silly that I couldn't sleep through the night and he could.
I guess this is just the first of many steps towards independence that Evan will be taking. It is bittersweet, but I am glad that he made the transition on his own. Well, it is time for me to go to bed. I will try to stretch out and enjoy my space, but I think a tiny piece of me will always hold that spot for Evan, just in case.
7 comments:
That is really sweet! It's hard for them to become independent! I know I was SO anxious for Jonathan to reach each milestone and now, looking back, I wonder why I was in such a hurry!
Great post!I did not really think co-sleeping was for us and I still don't think it's a long-term solution for our family, but I have had Josiah in the bed with me since he came home. He sleeps in one of those co-sleepers right next to me (so I don't worry about smushing him). We kicked Daddy out so he could sleep and so there would be room for the co-sleeper. I am ready for life to return to normal in a few weeks. But... I will miss seeing my little baby next to me. I always thought there was a real pull to make parents want to co-sleep. Who can resist a warm baby body next to you? But, I now I "get it" and see why people do it long-term. It's such a sweet, intimate time that I do treasure.
How sweet!
We did the same thing with Devin and I was sad to see him go from our room. I loved cosleeping regardless of what people said about it, it was a very special time for us.
We are about to make the transition w/ Ethan as well and I am so torn. He needs his own space now (and I bruise too easily to have him kicking me anymore!), but I will so miss the unlimited cuddle time. :*-(
such a big boy!!! i know it is bittersweet! we are not cosleepng but i love having katie fall asleep in my arms. it wont be long before she is too big for that!
Ahhh! I'm so sentimental. I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was just reading through your blogs to get to know you a bit, and this one really got me. *sigh* My 2 year old just moved to her bed around her birthday, and I'm still sad, too. Hugs!
Andrea, if only had Cameron he would probably still be sleeping in our bed! But I had to learn to let them be independent and sleep on their own for my husband's and my own sanity. But there are days when I miss those snuggle times early in the morning. They grow up so fast. I realized this even more when Ava came along and I try to spend as much cuddle time as I can with them because it won't be long before they grow up and cuddle/snuggle time is considered "not cool".
Post a Comment