Monday, October 13, 2008

Just the words I needed to hear...

The day Wes was born, my water broke at 2:30 in the morning. The first thing I did was wake up Chris and calmly ask him to bring me a towel. The next thing I did was start to sob uncontrollably. I was crying for the last moments of Evan being an only child. The last moments of just me and him. All the fears and uncertainty I had been carrying around in my head for the last 9 months were going to be faced- ready or not.

Of course, the minute I saw Wes, I was head over heals in love with him. But I still felt a little guilty about Evan. And over the last few weeks, when he has shown signs of jealousy, or started to cry because I couldn't read his story because I had to nurse Wes- I felt horrible. No matter how hard I try- it just won't ever be quite the same for him. He will never have me to himself again- and I worried that this was making him hate me.

I was wrong though. The other morning as I was sitting in the rocking chair nursing Wes, Evan came over to me with his little stool. He put the stool right next to the chair, stood up on it, leaned in to me and said "I need tell you something, Mommy". I asked him what he wanted to tell me, and he looked me in the eyes and said, "Mommy, you best mommy in the whole world."

I started to cry. Those were just the words I needed to hear. And from that moment forward, I stopped feeling guilty, and just started to enjoy life with both of my boys.

8 comments:

Jaidean said...

That made me get all teary-eyed, so I can imagine the tears coming from you! What a sweet little guy!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

That is such a sweet story! I do not know you in "real life," but I feel like I have a good idea of the type of person you are. I have no doubt that you have more than enough love for both of those boys. They are very lucky to have such a great mother!

Rebecca said...

Awwww! What a sweet, wonderful little man you have. I have no doubt that he'll be one of the best big brothers of all time. :)

Jennifer said...

How sweet!

Kara said...

I felt exactly how you felt for quite some time. Big E even once said, "I don't like that little baby." But once the first time they played together without drawing blood, I realized that despite what E had lost, I had given each of them their first friend (and a lifetime friend at that). I think that's a pretty good trade! I love your sweet story.

kendra said...

don't you ever feel guilty. evan has something great - a little brother and before long they will be best friends (trust me, they will!) you are a great little mommy.

tbonegrl said...

I cried too. Thanks for sharing!

shay said...

Every mom needs to hear those words every once in a while! Great story! I'm glad you don't feel guilty any more.