Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Three

My Dear Evan,

You turned three today. I am still not quite sure how it happened. It is hard to pinpoint the exact moment you went from my chubby little baby to the strong, funny, lean little boy you are today.

I feel like just yesterday I was holding you in my arms at the hospital. I remember looking at you for the first time. It was so surreal. You were so perfect and I couldn't believe you were mine. My heart had never felt so full of love.

You woke up today with a smile on your face. You great everyday with enthusiasm. You ran downstairs to play with Grampa, but a few minutes later you came back upstairs and snuggled up with me. When Grampa came to look for you, you told him "I was just snuggling with my favorite Mommy, Grampa."

I am so proud of the little man you have become, Evan. I don't think I will ever be able to tell you that enough. Sometimes, I look at you and your sweet little face and it brings tears to my eyes I am so proud of you. You are polite, inquisitive, funny, and sometimes a little stubborn. You push the boundaries. You need me to kiss you if you get hurt. You share your toys with your baby brother. You keep me honest and you keep me humble. Most of all, you keep me smiling.

I hope you had an amazing birthday. You ate special pancakes for breakfast, and then we went to the Rockies game. At the game- they treated you like royalty. They sang you happy birthday, you got to meet Dinger, and they even gave you a special birthday pin. You made it 8 innings, and then fell asleep in Daddy's lap during the 9th inning. You slept the whole way to the car, and then woke up when we buckled you in.

Back at Omi and Grampa's, you opened your presents like a seasoned pro. You are so appreciative and people love to get you things because the joy in your voice is addictive. You blew out the candle on your cake all by yourself. You declared it the best day ever.

Your birthday will always be the best day ever to me, too. It was the day I became your Mommy. Tonight at dinner you snuggled in my lap. I rested my cheek on your soft curly hair, and you started to sing a song. I couldn't understand it all, but the two lines I heard brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. Your small, pure voice singing "You are the best mommy in the world" and "I will love you always, Mom". I am so lucky.

Happy Birthday, Son. My wish for you is that you will continue to great each day with enthusiasm, and that you will embrace every adventure that comes your way. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Love Forever,
Mommy

3 comments:

Kim said...

What a sweet letter, it brought tears to my eyes because I feel the same way about my little guy.

kendra said...

I'm glad Evan had a great day! So fun.

christie adams photography said...

so sweet...he will love reading this when he is older.