Catching Up
How did it get to be Thursday already? I think those 3-day weekends really make the week fly by. Let me see if I can catch you up.
Saturday was spent hanging out with Chris' family, and getting ready for the party. We did all the shopping, and my sister-in-law, Kim, helped me bake the birthday cake. We made carrot cake, and used this recipe, and it was delicious! That evening, I decided I must, and I mean must, have a cake plate to put said carrot cake on. Chris was a sport and drove me around to 5 different stores to find the perfect cake stand.
I know it sounds silly that I needed that cake stand, but you see- I had a vision. I bought a round blue place mat, and the cake was going to sit on said blue place mat on a cake stand and it would be picture perfect. And I think it was! But I did drive Chris crazy with my search!
Sunday was the big day. Chris, my dad and my brother played 9 holes of golf while the rest of us set up for the party. My mom and sister strung up lanterns on the porch, Kim helped with (well, more like did all of- she is the best!)the food, and Stan and Nancy picked up the balloons. It was so nice having all that help, and come party time I was nice and relaxed and ready to go!
The weather was perfect, and we enjoyed sitting out on the deck, eating food, and watching Evan try to steal Chris' beer. A few of my oldest friends stopped by later, just in time for cake. It was so fun to watch Evan go to town on his little smash cake!
We ended the evening with a barbecue and a family picture. Then we all signed messages to Evan in the "Happy Birthday to You!" book I had purchased for the occasion. I hope this will be a special book that we can pull out each year on this day.
Chris' family left Monday morning, but my family got to stay a little later. We ventured to the Amana Colonies and found a Cajun festival going on. We learned how to eat crawfish, listened to some Zydeco music and even played a few carnival games. Then we headed into Amana to browse at the wineries and other little shops until my family had to say their goodbyes and start the long drive home.
Evan and I have spent the last days playing with his new toys, cleaning up from the party (still!) and having a great time shopping! He even went to the antique store with me. Now I just need to convince Chris that we really need that antique love seat I found...
The reason for shopping was actually to get Evan shoes, but we have still not purchased any. He screams and cries and tires to pull off any pair I get on. I just can't see spending money to make him so miserable. Maybe when he is actually walking I'll try again.
A few interesting tidbits- Evan loves gnocchi. He is currently chowing down on it, actually. He also loves watermelon, polenta, barbecue chicken and green beans. He also loves to take the sink out of his new kitchen and drop things through the holes. Daisy has been the object of his affections lately- he not so gently pulls on her until she rolls on her back, and then he pets her belly and bends over to give her hugs and kisses. Oh, how I melt when he does this!
I just love this time of year here- everything is so green and lush and the weather is just right. I try to enjoy this time as much as I can, since I know the months of unbearable humidity and heat are not too far around the corner. Speaking off, I should wrap this up and head outside. It looks like Evan has finished his gnocchi, and hosing him off in the pool might be my best bet for clean-up!
9 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful weekend with the party and being able to spend so much time with family!
I totally understand the cake stand. I am the same way, when I vision something it has to be perfect. I can see it from the picture and it looks great.
Love the family picture!
Happy Birthday, Evan! Looks like you guys had a great time. And you're right... the cake stand is definitely picture perfect. I love the Dr. Seuss book idea! And the family photo is great. I'll have to remember to set up some photos with my family when we see them in July.
Sounds like the perfect first birthday party! I'm so happy to hear that you survived ;)
What a fun weekend, and wonderful pics. Looks like you guys were really busy!!
Wow, you were busy! The Dr. Seuss birthday book is a great idea! And the cake stand is absolutely perfect!! I wanted to tell you that my mouth was salivating looking at that carrot cake!
I love this time of year as well - it's the perfect weather for me. Hope you enjoyed your day!
I am totally with you on the cake stand! Isn't it nice to have a patient husband?
I adore the birthday banner--where did you find it? I also love the Dr. Seuss book idea! You are so creative!
Thanks, guys! I got the Dr. Suess book idea from another blogging mommy, so I can't take credit for that one- but I am so glad she shared the idea!
The banner was actually from Hobby Lobby. I went in with the idea to make my own, using scrapbook paper and clothes-line, but I saw this, and for $10 couldn't pass it up! I hope to be able to hang it every year! :)
GREAT pics. I love them. Looks like a wonderful 1st birthday party.
Okay, I know I already commented, but I love your little birthday set up. I had to go back and look at the perfe t stand with the blue placemat. How great your family could be there, and all that wonderful help!!
Post a Comment