Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Picture Perfect



This is not a very good picture. The angle is awkward, there are shadows. You can't even see their faces. The composition is nothing special. But I wanted to show you a picture from our weekend, and this was pretty much the only one I took. And even though it is nothing special, our weekend was.

We spent Friday evening having a cook-out with friends, complete with beer-boiled brats and watermelon. Then we went to a little parade (where the picture was taken) and Evan and the other kids had a great time watching the floats. Evan was especially excited by the float that had dogs on it. He loves dogs!

On Saturday we ventured to my favorite little antique shop, and then drove into the nearby town to find lunch. On our way, we ran in to a dairy, and got to see cheese being made and try cheese curds. (I liked them, Chris was not fond of the squeakiness!)

We ate french-onion soup and homemade gellato on the patio of a cute little diner, and then strolled through the streets of the town, admiring front porch swings and tree-lined streets.

It was picture perfect. I even had my camera. But I did not take any pictures. This is a struggle for me. I don't want to spend so much time behind the lens, that I become removed from the situation. Yet, if I try to just do quick snapshots, I am unsatisfied with the results. So usually I end up just not taking any pictures at all.

And maybe that is alright. After all, some of these moments, not even a picture can do justice to. Like today, we went to the local aquatic center, and Evan just had a blast. He loved the water, and his happy squeals filled the air. How could I capture that moment? And if I had, would I have been missing out on really enjoying it?

7 comments:

Shana-Lynn said...

Andrea, sounds like a fulfilling weekend, I love those.

I have to say again, you have such a way with words, it's awesome. I feel as though I was with you on your weekend. You should look into writing a book or some poetry...really you should.

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful! I agree with the other posts--you are a really talented writer!

Jennifer said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful! Sounds like you had a great time!

I am right there with you on capturing the moments vs. actually being part of them and I struggle with it too. I have gotten a lot better about it and it seems you have too. My weekends were ending and I would have 100 pictures to show everyone what we did, but I didn't feel like I really got to participate, make sense?

Agree with everyone else, I LOVE your writing style.

Janice said...

What a fun weekend! I do understand about wanting to take pictures but then you get to miss out on your time with Evan and your hubby. Sometimes you just can't capture all the moments because you also want to be in those moments - and being with Evan I'm sure is more important than getting the right shot.

Wendy said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!! All of it sounds just perfect!!

Denise said...

This reminds me a bit of the Bible verse for my blog where Mary treasured these things in her heart. Some things are just meant to be kept in your heart and not captured with film. I totally know what you mean and think you made a wise decision to fully be there and just be happy with a picture showing your boy and his daddy. Your weekend sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOO nice! Good for you!!

Jaidean said...

"And if I had, would I have been missing out on really enjoying it?"
That is exactly what I struggle with all the time! In the past couple months I *think* I have gotten much better about putting my camera down, but it is still so hard! But I know it is the right thing to do - they are only young once!!!