Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hawaii, Part 1

Well, you can blame J.K. Rowling for how long it took me to post this. Seriously- it is also her fault that I haven't done laundry or cleaned our bedroom. The 7th Harry Potter book was just too good to put down, but I finally finished it today during Evan's nap, so now I can get back to my regularly scheduled programming. Which means, telling you all about Hawaii.

We started our trip with an overnight drive to Colorado, complete with a 3 hour pit-stop at some rest-area in Nebraska to sleep in the car. It was not fun. I do not recommend this plan to anyone. But we did make it to Colorado in one piece, with all the luggage, the dogs and Evan. So all was well.

We spent two days in Colorado hanging out with our families, and then, on Monday, we drove to Denver International Airport to begin our voyage. We felt as prepared as can be for the flights. Evan had napped in the car, and he seemed to be in a good mood. We lugged his car seat on to the plane so he would have a comfortable seat. Well, turns out he thought my lap was much more comfortable! But it was nice not to have to worry about him bumping in to and crawling all over a stranger. The flight from Colorado to San Fransisco was a little rough- Evan wanted to get down and crawl in the worst way, but I decided not to let him, because once he gets a taste of freedom-there is no going back. I think the worst part was that the people in front of us reclined their seats all the way back, and Evan kept trying to pull their hair. I only felt a little sorry for them, because honestly, who does that?!

Oh my, I am really probably telling you more than you want to know about these flights. Let's cut to the chase! On the flight to Hawaii, Evan slept (in his car seat) for half the flight, and then was easily entertained until the last 20 minutes when he got a little fussy. He then had a complete breakdown at the car-rental place. Not that I can blame him. It took over an hour to get the darn car. And then it was a weird Mazda mini-van wanna-be. But oh well- we had a car, and we were in Hawaii!

The condo was gorgeous. I should have taken pictures. But I would have had to do that when we first arrived and it was still clean, and by the time we got there on the first night, we were all exhausted. But if you want to check out where we stayed, here is a link. I would recommend it to anyone! Here are a few pictures I took of the view from our lanai:




On Tuesday we woke up early, and walked over to Eggbert's for breakfast. We had macadamia nut and banana pancakes and they were the perfect start to our day. Next, we got massages in our condo with the ocean in the background. We hired a lady that comes right to your room, and Chris drove Evan around in the car so he could nap while I go my massage, and then we switched. It was so relaxing! We let Evan explore on the Lanai a little,




(as you can see, he was in to being bare-bummed this trip!) and then we headed to a cool barbecue restaurant with an awesome view of the ocean for lunch. After lunch we drove north towards Hanalei and Ke'e beach while Evan napped. He woke up right as we arrived at Ke'e, and this was were I took the infamous sandy bum shot! He loved picking up all the rocks and shells off the beach, but got mad when Chris tried to wash the sand off of him! Next we headed to Tunnels beach to get fresh pineapple from the little van there. It is a tradition for us, we have done it all three times we have been to Kauai.



We hit up the grocery store on our way home, and then had dinner at the condo. It was so relaxing to hear the ocean as we ate. It rained that evening, and we even caught a gorgeous rainbow from the lanai. The perfect end to the day.




To be continued!

5 comments:

Shana-Lynn said...

Can't wait to hear more...I want to go now too. How long was the flight from California?

Andrea said...

The flight from CA to Hawaii is a little over 5 hours. On the way home we took the red-eye and Evan slept the whole time!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I'm happy to hear your flight was good! The first (and only, so far) time we flew with Jonathan was a bit of a nightmare!

I'm so happy you finally had time to post. I am still reading the seventh Harry Potter, so I understand why it took you awhile.

Hawaii looks gorgeous and that rainbow picture is awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Jennifer said...

Great pictures. It looks like you guys had a blast. I really want to go, but don't know if I am up for the trip yet. I hear it is really long. I can't wait to see more!!!!

Denise said...

Wow - I want to hear more! Your photos are beautiful! I too greatly enjoyed the macadamia nut and banana pancakes when in Hawaii. Yummmyyyyy!