Buck
My parents were here for a quick visit this weekend, and we wanted to give them the full Evan experience. They had requested to take him to the mall to pick out a toy, and who are we to refuse? So Saturday, after a delicious late breakfast of pancakes and eggs, we piled into the Jeep to head to the mall.
It was a gray, rainy day, but we were all cheerful. Evan played with his cowboy duck and the adults discussed a contestant on "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" who thought vowel was spelled "voul". Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but had there been a soundtrack to our day, ominous music would have been dubbed behind our idle chatter. Because not too far from our house, on a residential street- one minute I was looking back to see the cute thing Evan was doing, and the next I was watching a huge buck slam into the side of the car.
I will never forget his huge eyes staring at me as his antlers smashed into the car. The sickening thud of impact is always enough to send my heart racing. There was screaming and crying and flying glass. The buck was stunned for an instant, but then ran off into the distance. We pulled over to assess the damage. Evan was crying, but besides a few pieces of glass in his hair that were easily brushed out, he was fine. My mom, who was sitting in the seat where the impact occured, had thankfully been looking at Evan when the buck hit us, so the glass hit her neck instead of her face.
Surprisingly, the two cars behind us made no effort to stop and see if we were okay. I am still a little bothered by this. But we were fine, the car was just full of glass. The buck's antlers shattered the small window on the rear door, and we have huge dents and scrapes on the side of the car. Chris and my dad took the car back to the house to clean out the glass, and my mom, Evan and I waited in the lobby of a nearby nursing home.
Evan had a blast banging on the piano, climbing the stairs, and pushing his stroller up and down the halls. My mom was able to get a wet towel to get the stray shards of glass off her neck, and I was so occupied with watching Evan that I barely had time to process the event. It is only now as I sit and type this that I start thinking of the what-ifs.
What if my mom hadn't been looking at Evan? What if my mom hadn't been in the car at all? What if we had been going faster? What if he had hit the main window instead of the small one?
But I thank God that we are all okay, and I know he was watching us in that moment.
I am sure it is going to be a hassle to get the car fixed, but it is just a car. We are all okay, and that is what really matters. I am told that I am now officially and Iowan, since we have had a collision with a deer. Frankly, I could have done without the designation.
10 comments:
Wow Andrea, that is so scary! I am so glad that you are all, for the most part, okay!
Scary - glad you all are ok!!!
Oh my! I am so sorry that happened but I am glad you are all OK! I can't believe no one stopped, but maybe it's because it happens all the time in Iowa? But still!
Hope getting the car fixed is not too much of a hassle! I hate dealing with things like that!
That is so scary! SO glad you guys were all okay. You are such a good story teller. The only thing you're missing on this post is a picture!
How scary, I am so glad no one got hurt!
Im still shocked by the whole thing! That is so scary! We are so happy that nothing serious happened and your family is safe.
Oh my goodness! How scary for all of you. Thank God everyone is ok.
wow..that's crazy..
don't worry to much about the 'what-if's', you'll drive yourself nuts.
glad the story had a nice ending.
I am glad you are all okay. It makes for a very scarey day. Sorry about the car... but, at least you are safe!!
I, too, have been hit by a deer. People always say, "No, you hit the deer." I reply, "Noooooo - it hit me!" It hit my passenger side mirror. So, I kind of relate but yours sounds much scarier. I hate hearing that thud as I recalled the accident. I eventually forgot the sound but it's hard. And, now you are a mommy so you are extra worried for your super super cute boy. Did he get his toy?? I'm glad you are all okay!
Post a Comment