Friday, November 9, 2007

Blur

Things around here have been a bit of a blur lately. Chris has been traveling to interviews (so far he has been to Connecticut, Ohio and Seattle, and likes the program at Ohio State best.) Evan and I really miss having him around. He is leaving again on Monday to go to South Carolina, and I miss him already!

On Wednesday I had to go the the hospital to get an MRI. I have been having some ringing in one of my ears for almost 2 months now, and they wanted to make sure I didn't have a tumor. I am claustrophobic, so I was very nervous about it, and Chris couldn't go with me because he can't miss anymore school because of all the interviews.

But on Wednesday morning I dropped Evan off with my friend Katie (thanks, again Katie!) and headed to the hospital. I held it together pretty well until I actually got in to the room with the MRI machine. Then I cried. The technicians were so nice to me though, and really helped me feel at ease. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I only panicked once. I calmed myself down thinking of Evan's silly dancing.

The only bump in the road was when the tech told me (via headset) "Okay, now we are going to bring you out for your injection." I totally panicked. (Okay, so I guess I panicked twice!) No one had mentioned an injection to me, and here I am strapped down to this machine. Again, the techs were very nice, and I ended up not getting the injection because I still breastfeed Evan and I didn't want him to be exposed to the rare earth metals that they were going to inject me with.

Luckily the doctor was able to see what he needed to from the images we got, and I don't have a tumor! This news would have been even better if I had not had to wait over 2 and half hours to get it (appointment times are apparently just a very rough estimate here), and if their solution for my chief complaint (the ringing) had been something better than "turn on a fan to mask it out".

But really, I am so relieved. The ringing seems to be getting better on its own, so I will just count my blessings and I hope I don't have to see another ENT specialist for a long time.

Evan has been a busy boy lately- he is very inquisitive and loves to be out and about. We go the mall, the children's museum, the library, playgroup- you name it, and he is just the happiest little guy you ever did see.

He has recently started to actually play with his toys- like he will go to his kitchen and pretend to make food and bring it over for me to taste. His play vacuum is also a hit, as are his Duplos.

Evan's new favorite foods are oranges and grilled cheese. He continues to love raisins and pretty much any fruit. Vegetables are another story- I even have trouble getting him to eat pumpkin bread!

Sometimes I wish I could hit pause and just stay in the moment forever. I can't believe how big my baby is getting.


8 comments:

Janice said...

Andrea, I am so sorry you had to go through that but I am very glad everything's ok!!! I'll be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts. I hope you find out what's causing it. Keep us posted!

Sweet Whispers Photography said...

oh my gosh girlfriend!! I'm so glad everytings okay - we're thinking of you!! As for locations - I'm biased to say I want you to go to CT seeing as Boston is only an hour and half away - we would SO be down for playdates (and we have friends all over CT!) BUT my husband is from Ohio and went to Ohio State- their programs are amazing. So for your sake - I understand the Ohio State thing - but for my selfish sake - COME TO CT! hahaha... As for the little man.. can you even stand it! He is so stinkin cute and he is growing up so fast I can't even believe it! I feel like I was just holding Jackson - let alone the fact that hes 17 months now!! The time flies too quick!!! Glad you're doing better -- (i'm claustraphobic too so i dont know how you did that! it made my hands sweat just READING it! ahhah) Keep me posted -let us know if you need anything!!

HUGS and blessings....

Keri and Jackson :)

Kasey said...

SO glad things are okay! Poor you having to get an MRI when you are so claustrophobic.
On another note, could Evan be any cuter?! I just love those pictures of him.

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I'm happy to hear that everything is OK with you. My mom has a similar problem and hers got better with time, so hopefully yours will, too!

Evan looks adorable in that picture! He really is getting big!

sherri said...

Oh, I am so glad everything is ok. I have had ringing in my ears (started in one, and now in both) for several years now. They never had me do an MRI?? Anyway, how old is Evan? I'm still nursing my baby, too. ;)

Nancy K said...

I am glad everything turned out! AHHHH! SO Scary!
Nancy

Denise said...

Oh wow - scary, scary. Me - also a bit clausrophobic. I am glad you had a good test result! I don't get to check your blog as much as I'd like but I love reading it. Your boy gets cuter by the minute - what a sweet little face!

Jaidean said...

So glad everything turned out ok!!! Evan is getting so big and so cute!!!