Jam
Lately Evan has been reminding me of a teenage girl. Very emotional and very dramatic. I guess this is just toddlerhood! Our days are a series of highs and lows, and he is either super happy or super sad. There doesn't seem to be an in-between, and he is very opinionated.
Last Thursday I took Evan to his first music class at the rec center. I thought for sure he would love it. Basically a lady plays guitar and sings songs, and the kids get to dance, play instruments, toss a ball- toddler heaven. Or so I thought.
Evan started to cry hysterically the minute we entered the room. He arched his back and tears streamed down his face and he said "no, no, no" over and over. I felt awful. I tried to calm him down and we hung out in the back during the opening song. I tried to point out all the great things going on, but the crying didn't stop.
I started to feel like we were ruining it for the other kids, so we left the room, and sat outside where we could watch from an observational window. I thought maybe he would see how much fun the kids were having and want to join in. He did sit and watch attentively, but when I suggested to him that we go in, the crying and the "no, no, no"'s started again.
I finally gave up and we went to the gym where they have a tot-lot set up with all sorts of ride-on toys, balls and activities. He LOVED this and played for well over an hour. I guess he just likes to do his own thing. We are going to try again this week, but I have a feeling we are going to be asking for a refund!
Evan does love guitar though, and was more than happy to have a little jam session with Daddy that night:
3 comments:
It's so hard when you think you've found something they will love and it ends up that they don't like it! It's obvious from the picture, though, that he likes music so maybe give it another try! Jonathan is often hesitant when introduced to new experiences, too, so I totally know where you are on that one!
I'm right there with you on the mood swings. Drives me nuts! Sienna is in exactly the same stage. You'll have to let us know how next week goes. Good luck!
Oh no, I am sorry he isn't liking the music class...but I can totally relate. I will plan something for Devin that I just know he will like and get excited about it and then we have a day like you had. It is so hard to figure these kids out.
Love the picture of him & daddy on the guitars.
Post a Comment