Thursday, July 24, 2008

On Call

My least favorite part of Chris' residency is that he has to take call. Basically, 3-4 times a month, he has to spend 24 hours at the hospital, taking care of any dental emergencies that come in. I know that it could be worse, but I am still getting used to it, and it is hard!

Evan always spends the whole day asking me "Where Daddy?", so I try to plan fun activities for us to do. This usually leads to him asking "Daddy come too?", but at least I am trying.

Last time Chris was on call, I took Evan to Noodles and Co. for dinner (or as Evan lovingly refers to it the "Macaro-ni-ni and Cheese Restaurant"). I let Evan use chopsticks, and he was surprisingly good at it. Check him out:



I think bedtime is the hardest time for both and Evan and I. Chris usually does Evan's bedtime routine with him, and I can tell that Evan gets upset that I am not doing things the right way. I don't read the stories right, or dry him off right, or set his stuffed animals right.

But we manage. Evan is sound asleep, and I get some time to myself. My mom tells me I will get so used to the call schedule, I will miss it when it is over. I think she might be right, except I am dreading when we add the new baby in to the mix. At least I still have a few months before that!

2 comments:

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Wow--his chopstick usage is impressive!

I wouldn't like that on call thing either but I bet your Mom is right and that it gets better!

kendra said...

Good job with the chop sticks Evan! What a cutie! Andrea, now you can curl up with a good movie or book - uninterrupted!! I'd love that a couple times a month! No explaining yourself, no worries about what needs to be done. Just time for you! Believe me when number two bundle of joy comes around time for yourself will be even more scarce and you'll love it! So take a bubble bath, read a book and enjoy!