Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Playing Favorites




My boys. I love these little guys so much. I think everything about them is my favorite, but if I had to pick- my favorite thing about Evan right now is the cute little things he says. Like today he told me that he wished he could nurse all the babies at playgroup so they could grow big and strong. I didn't have the heart to tell him he doesn't have the right equipment for the job. Later, he was playing with his trains, and he hooked Thomas to Gordan's coal car, and told me that "sometimes, I do this Mommy and pretend this be Edward, because Santa not bring me an Edward".

We had a rough nap time and I lost my temper and yelled at him. After I calmed down I apologized to him and told him I was sorry and that it was not nice to yell and that I had lost my temper. I asked him if he had ever lost his temper, and what he thought we could do instead of yell. He crawled in to my lap and said, "Maybe instead of yelling we could snuggle, or play trains together or, maybe, just sit together." I told him that was a great idea. And maybe, just maybe, I got a little teary when he said that. There is nothing more humbling than your two year old telling you that. I have always felt he made me a better person, and I still know it is true.

And, let's not forget my little Wes. He has picked up his brother's trademark pterodactyl screech, and loves to use it- especially in public. My favorite thing about Wes right now is the way he grins from ear to ear when he wakes up and sees me. He is more serious than Evan ever was, so the smiles don't come as easily- and seem more rewarding when they do. He sat up all on his own today in a little tripod stance, and I was so proud of my strong boy. Evan was so excited, because he could tell that Wes was growing and would soon be able to play with him.

My favorite thing about both my boys is watching the bond they have with each other. I was so worried about losing the bond I had with Evan when Wes was born. It hasn't changed a bit, and the best part is is that I am now able to see the wonderful gift I have given Evan- the bond of a brother.

Yep, I love these boys. Every mom is entitled to play favorites every now and again!

4 comments:

kendra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kendra said...

Such cute boys. I love Evan's long hair and Wes' scrunched forehead and lifted up eyebrows. They are so cute. It's funny that Wes is more serious than Evan. I always thought Evan was a very serious baby. He always seemed to be in deep thought about something. It seems like he has such a fun personality. I love the way 2 year olds say things. They come up with the cutest way to describe things.

I hope you are doing great too. I keep thinking about you wonering how you are. Cam's been on call for a week and half straight - ugh! Hopefully Chris' call isn't that bad. Someday soon they will be ours again!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I love that last picture. Jonathan is likely going to be an only child for a myriad of reasons, but I know and treasure the value of having a sibling.

Don't be too hard on yourself about losing your temper. No one ever said that being a mother was easy!

Kasey said...

They are so cute! Love all those pictures. Wes is getting so big. Isn't it fun to just watch them together?