Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Go With Your Heart

The other day I went to Target with my good friend Meg to help her register for her baby shower. (She is pregnant with a little girl and due in September!) She brought me along for advice, and I hope I was actually helpful. I had to try to remember what it was like to be pregnant, and not know what to expect.

We registered for all the essentials, like onesies, diapers and cloth diapers for burp rags. We registered for cute ruffley dresses and tiny little shoes. We picked out boppy covers and blankets and rattle toys and bottles. And then she asked me if there was a book on baby-care that I would recommend.

I was caught a little off-guard, and then tried to be diplomatic with my answer. I said, "Well, that depends on what you want to hear". I am sure all you mom's out there know what I mean. It seems like there are a zillion books on babies out there. Ones that promise to have your little one sleeping through the night, changing their own diapers and composing sonnets by the tender age of 6 weeks old.

Ferber, Weissbluth, the Sleep Lady... I could go on and on. And these are just the books on sleep. I have never read one of these books. I always figured I would just take it as it came, and that plenty of people raised children before there were books telling them how to do it. Besides, none of the experts seem to agree on anything. One says wait 4 months to do this, one says wait 6. I have found this lack of consensus to be one of the most frustrating things about being a mom.

Anyway, back to my poor friend. After I gave her my diplomatic response, she said, "Well- I just want to know what to do- you know- with the umbilical cord and stuff." Oh man, I wish you could have seen the look on her face when I told her that even that was an issue that the experts don't agree on.

In my almost year of being a mom, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing you can do for your child is to listen to all the opinions, and then go with your heart. I think that love, above anything else, helps us to raise our children up right. After all, the only expert that spends 24 hours a day with your child is you!

11 comments:

Wendy said...

So very true! I agree completely. The only book I read and read, over and over, and with each pregnacy, was "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" It was more hillarious, don't hold anything back, humour about pregnancy and I LOVED it. I was was able to laugh hysetrically at all aspects, including the jumbo sized underwear they have for our eer expanding bellies!! It helped me through those not so gorgeous days of pregnancy, and never failed to put a smile on my so called glowing face.

Brianne said...

I 100% agree with you...I think we share the same parenting views :) I LOVE this picture!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I also loved the Girlfriend's Guide. I read the pregnancy one and also the first year. Both were hysterical and helpful in that they put things into perspective.

I totally agree with what you've said, though--there is no one right answer to virtually any baby-rearing question! I did read some books and have taken things from each of them, but overall, you just have to do what works for you and your family. Wouldn't it be nice, though, if there were one single book out there that was "right"? But I suppose that would take some of the challenge out of parenting, wouldn't it?

That picture is great!! I just love that you can see his cute little teeth!!

Denise said...

Great advice! I am a book junkie and LOVE reading parenting books. Well, I love reading any "how to" about my passions: scrapbooking, babies, marriage (not in that order!), etc. But, with ALL things from the experts, take it in and decide what works for you and your baby. I would not try to follow any book by the book (except for The Good Book). Your friend is blessed to have a mommy friend like you. :) And - LOVE the picture. Great colors, sweet sweet baby boy!!

Janice said...

I too have read The Girlfriend's Guide book - and it's very funny! I absolutely agree with what you wrote. You are the one spending most of the time with your child and so follow your instincts - there is no ONE right way to do things. Being a mom is a life long process, you learn how to parent as your child grows.

Wanna know something weird? My dad saved both Cameron and Ava's umbilical cord right after they fell off! He keeps it in his days of the week pill box. I know, gross...

Jennifer said...

So very true. I love reading your blog, you are such a good writer! Cute pic of Evan! I can't believe how much he has changed since I starting following your blog.

Jaidean said...

That picture is sooo cute! He is getting so big!

Wendy said...

Happy MOthers Day Andrea!! I hope your boys are spoiling you today!!

Jenelle said...

Happy Mother's day Andrea :)

Janice said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!!! Hope you had a wonderful pampered weekend!

sarah said...

Amen, sister!!