In An Instant
I knew my heart wasn't ready, and I was right. I will preface this whole story by saying that Evan is fine, and of all of us, probably the least phased by the incident.
The morning started out on a good note. Evan was so excited to find Chris home and in bed with us still, and he woke us both up at 8:00 with sloppy kisses, excited coos, and enthusiastic pats on the head. We decided to seize the day and head to the Amana Colonies for a Sunday brunch at one of the many family-style restaurants there.
We arrived and were seated at a large table, and Evan got a high chair. It was gorgeous chair, probably crafted there. Instead of a buckle, the strap velcroed down. In hindsight, this is not the best system- but at the time, we were enjoying the sights and smells and eager to enjoy our breakfast.
The waitress was friendly and brought us plate after plate of delicious food- fruit, pancakes, toast, eggs, potatoes, bacon. Evan banged his spoon on the table with glee, and looked all around him at the other diners. It was picture perfect, but then in an instant, the bliss was shattered.
I remember looking down to take a bite of my pancake. I remember Chris shouting "Andrea". And then I remember looking over to Evan and seeing my sweet baby tumbling out of the high chair. It happened so fast, but it seemed like slow motion to me.
"His head", I was thinking. "Not his head, not his neck". I could hear the other diners around us gasp as my baby hit the floor with a thud. I leaped from my chair and scooped Evan off the ground, his face still red, his expression shocked and scared. He did the terrible breath holding before he finally let out a piercing cry.
I hugged him tight and spoke to him softly. "It's alright, its alright", all the while trying to convince myself as much as I was trying to soothe him. Chris was right there too, trying to examine his head, check his eyes- make sure he was okay. I could see the fear and the anger in Chris' eyes.
I was the one closest to Evan. I should have caught him. I shouldn't have looked down. I should have paid more attention. All that from a glance- that is how well I know my husband. I don't blame him from feeling that way. I felt that way, too.
How could I let my baby down like that? What kind of mother does that? Evan cried for under 5 minutes, but it felt like a lifetime. We returned to the table. Concerned waitresses and diners came over to check on Evan.
He snuggled in to me, and stuck out his lower lip and has never looked more forlorn in his life. Neither Chris nor I had an appetite left, so we paid and headed home. I sat in the backseat, to keep Evan awake in case he had a head injury. (I have since learned this keeping awake thing is a myth.)
We came home and consulted our first aid book and webMD and decided a trip to the ER wouldn't be necessary, since Evan seemed coherent, wasn't vomiting, and had returned to his normal self quickly.
I nursed him to sleep and let him nap on my chest. I watched my baby breath deep steady breaths, unaware of the fear and pain his parents were feeling. I watched him and I got so scared. I will never be able to protect him from everything.
What happened today was truly an accident. This is almost worse than it being someones fault, because with no one to blame, there is no way to prevent it from happening again. My Nana suggested prayer was the only answer, and I guess she is right. I am not going to make it through the next 17 years if she is not. I doubt the worry stops when they leave home anyway.
I guess part of being a parent is knowing that your heart is in the hands of your child. In fact, I think half the time, you feel the pain more than they do. I think Evan has forgotten the whole incident already, but I know it will be burned in my mind forever- I reminder that in an instant- everything can change- even if you aren't ready for it.
17 comments:
Oh, Andrea I am so sorry to hear about what happened! I know it is very nerve racking (to say the least) whenever you see your child hurt. One time Cameron slipped, fell and hit his head on our bathroom floor and it was the hardest thing for me to remain calm and not scare him even more. He was fine (no vomiting, etc). But we are all hard on ourselves. Like you said, I am sure Evan doesn't even remember it now and continues to be his adorable self! Positive thoughts and prayers are what really helps if nothing else. :-)
I am so sorry this happened. How scary for you and your husband to watch and not be able to stop it from happening. It is rough when you realize you can't protect them from everything. I look at my daughter now and wonder how do I protect her when she goes off to school, realizing I can't is the most difficult. I truly believe lots of hugs, kisses and prayers work wonders. I am glad Evan is doing fine now.
Another tear-jerker of a post! What a nightmare! Why can't we be SUPERMoms and Dads and protect our babies from EVERYTHING???? Guess we would not need God and He designed us to need Him daily. I'm so glad Evan is okay. How wonderful that his mommy and daddy knew how to care for him. I miss being able to nurse my boy because it would bring him (and me) such comfort. Praying for you!!
Andrea, I totally understand your feelings! My sister in law gave me this great picture that says something like "making the decision to have a child is to let your heart go walking around outside your body." It is absolutely true!
I am so happy that everything is OK and I am sending as many positive thoughts and prayers your way as possible!
Love the new banner!!!!!
((((hugs)))) Ethan's carseat fell out of one of those restaurant slings when he was like 7 months old. It was devestating & horrifying and 7 months later I can still see it in my head and remember how awful & helpless I felt when it happened.
Like Evan, Ethan cried for a few minutes and then was fine. It was far worse for us as parents, probably b/c as you said, it is our awakening ot the world of dangers that we won't always be able to shield them from.
Love the new banner. Did you do it yourself?
Thanks for the support and kind words everyone. I am feeling a little less guilty about it today. My mom assures me it will fade!
As for the banner- thanks! I did do it myself, though I still can't get the HTML quite right, so if anyone is good in that area and wants to check my source code and tell me what is off- I'd appreciate it!
You've been TAGGED! See my blog for details. :)
BIG BIG BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crying over here (of course!) for you!! that is THE WORST FEELING IN THE WHOLE WORLD. Its so scary the way you write, its as if you were writing from in my head. The looks you described from your husband but feeling the same way - i have SO been there. i hate that guilt!!! and the piercing slient cry.. UGH. jackson did that the other day when he fell and i didnt get to him in time. Of course, he was fine too but god. it is SO painful not to help them. its reminders like this that make me SO grateful they are only bumps and bruises and we dont have a serious illness or anything to battle. i really dont think my heart could take that. look at his little face in the grass. he loves you - he knows it wasn't your fault. he was just trying to explore ;) hug and snuggle a bit longer tonight and know that no matter what - you both are his favorite.
BIG HUGS to all THREE of you!!!!!!!!!
Yay! I figured the code out!!
Andrea!!!!! Your banner is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
How scary for you guys! I'm glad Evan is okay.
I LOVE the new banner! You've GOT to show me how you did that!
I love that picture of Evan. Where did you take it? It looks like the background of the ones I took at Lake McBride.
Oh, my goodness, the tears are streaming here. I'm the same way. Super hard on myself when something happens no matter if it was my fault or not. Accidents happen but I hate them. People get on me about leaving her more but I just hate to think what could happen if I wasn't there at all!
Love the new banner!
Andrea- I am sorry that this happened. Things like this do happen. I trip while carrying my first child in her infant seat. Luckily she was strapped in and the handle was up, so when she did a 360 on the pavement she was protected. I freaked out. Just a few weeks ago, Elaina was in a cart at Walmart, strapped in. In an instant Connor was standing on the back, and tipped the cart over backwards. Elaina head first into the ground! I freaked out! But, accidents are going to happen, and we can't prevent them all. Thank goodness kids are resilient! And, God made them so they don't remember everything we parents put them through! :)
Oh, Andrea! How scary!! I'm so glad Evan is alright! I bet he's running around now and has totally forgotten about the whole incident! Your Nana is right...we can't be everywhere, so we have to trust the One who can be! I thank God that Evan is great now!
the other Denise
I am so glad Evan is OK. I hope by now you are feeling a little better about it, but I know how hard (and scary) situations like that can be.
Love the new banner!
Post a Comment