Deep End
There are two things that I distinctly remember hating about taking swim-lessons when I was growing up, and they both involve the deep end. I always dreaded the teacher saying that it was time to go over to the deep end, because that meant that we would have to do one of two things. We would either be treading water, or jumping off the high dive. And I hated them both.
In a lot of ways, my life seems to be like the deep end right now. I feel like I am constantly treading water- fighting not to sink, but never making any forward motion. My house seems to be in a constant state of chaos. I am really working to remedy this. I made a cleaning schedule, we are having family meetings, I even made a meal plan. But, with a little tornado that I like to call Evan running around, tossing things on the floor, pulling things out of drawers, and in general making messes, I feel like I will never get a handle on it.
It also seems that nothing can ever be simple for us lately. Take the power cord. We found one used on eBay for a quarter the cost of a new one. The seller was a power-seller with over 99% positive feedback. It seemed like a safe deal. Well, the cord came damaged, and we have spent the last 2 weeks trying to chase the seller down. (He has gone so far as to change his phone number. Over a $30 power cord.)
I have decided to pursue my love of photography, and I have been doing some portfolio building sessions for friends. (You can see some of my work here,if you are interested.)I decided that I wanted to upgrade from my Nikon D40 to a D80. So I ordered it up and I was so excited. But, after taking it on a shoot and experiencing awful focus issues, I ran some diagnostic tests, and the auto-focus system is just not going to work for me. So, today I shipped it back for a refund, and I am back to square one in the camera department. So, for my fellow photographers reading this, I would love your gear recommendations. I am considering switching to the Dark Side, I mean, Canon. Again, though, another situation that was supposed to be simple and just wasn't.
On top of all of this, since I last posted, I turned 25. 25 is a strange age, because, as Jessica Simpson so eloquently put it, "25 is almost mid-twenties". For some reason, even though the only tangible change to being 25 is that I can now rent a car without any extra fees, 25 seemed to really hit me. I spent a week feeling really old, and really boring, and like I hadn't accomplished much. Which is ridiculous, and I know it. But I fully admit to spending more time than was necessary brooding over this.The one person who can always snap me out of any bad mood I may fall in to is Evan. He is just a riot right now. Walking like a mad-man, loudly expressing his emotions (read, screeching) and giving plenty of hugs, kisses and cuddles. He has been signing for more, hurt and "all-done" and has been saying "Daisy", "Deiter", "Dada", "Mama", and "Doggie". He loves dogs, and likes to point them out in all his books, and never seems to miss it if a dog walks past our house.
Today we found him playing with his golf clubs, and actually hitting the golf ball with the club. I don't know how he picked that one up, but it is cute. He has been chowing non-stop, and has developed a love for spicy food. He keeps me on my toes, he keeps me treading water, but hey, maybe the deep end isn't so bad after all.
As requested, here is a video of Evan doing his walking thing!
11 comments:
Well, this is one Grandma who is VERY happy that you posted that video! PS-Maybe some water wings or a noodle will make the deep end more enjoyable! Why do you think you grew up in a house that wasn't Martha Stewart perfect? Clean the things that really need it and give in to the "Kids live here" clutter! Love you!
I love seeing Evan in action!!!!! That is just the cutest thing!!!
So sorry about your camera - maybe you just got a lemon. I cracked up when you said you were thinking about venturing over to the dark side!! I seriously debated on whether to get a Nikon or Canon before I got my Xti because my dad has a Nikon Film SLR and was willing to give me all his lenses (I know, what was I thinking?!). I bought the Xti mostly because I knew how to use my Canon p/s so I stuck with the Canon. I really don't think one brand is better than the other. Would you have to get Canon lenses if you do decide on a Canon? I hear the Canon 40D is coming out so you might want to think about that one.
But if it were up to me, I'd stick with Nikon since you already have your lenses - I think I hear the D2X calling out your name! ;-D
Happy Birthday, btw!!! Oh to be 25 again (sigh...).
That video is adorable!!! He is just getting so big!
I am so sorry things have been so difficult for you lately. I can totally relate. Why can't everything just be easy?!?
I don't know what to say about your camera, but good luck in deciding. I might have to stick with the Nikon like Janice said so you can keep your lenses.
Happy late Birthday!!
Love the "kids live here" clutter comment above - that sums up my house perfectly! Have you checked out www.menuformoms.com? They send you weekly menus to help out with meal planning (kid friendly too!) and then also send you daily emails on a specific part of the house to try to work on that day (they say to just do it for 15 minutes a day). When I go part time I am definitely going to try this to keep up with everyday housework. I can handle 15 minutes of cleaning a day! :)
Happy 25th birthday!!! I hope you had a great day!
Oh, did you see Nikon is coming out with two new cameras - the D300 and D3 (I think that is what they are called) - maybe you should look in to one of those!!!
Hope life settles down a bit for you.
Evan is adorable as always! :)
Oh - that should be www.menus4moms.com!
That birthday cake looks so good! And Evan is just such a cutie.
I think the deep end is a place most moms hang out, I will see you there :)
I really identify with much of your post. I get totally frustrated when I look around my house and see clutter on every horizontal surface! I am going to check out that website one of the other posts mentioned--perhaps it will give me some much-needed inspiration!
Happy birthday, too! I feel much the same way with my impending big 3-0 coming up!
With a cake like that? Yum! You know you are not alone in that deep end, so don't worry too much. All the rest of us mommy bloggers are in the same situation, clutter made worse by toddlers whom we love more than anything. Just think, it won't be long before you have plenty of time to clean because Evan is off at a friend's house or at ball practice, so save the cleaning! Love the walking, he's doing great!
Happy Birthday Andrea,love your cake! Mine is tomorrow and I wish I was only going to be 25:-( So depressing.
I love Evan's walking video, he is doing so good. And your house is just beautiful, I love how it is decorated.
Good luck with your camera situation. I would totally switch over to Canon, but that is just because I have always had Canons, even my camcorder is Canon. Canon has a couple of new camera's coming out this fall, keep an eye on them.
I totally know what you mean about the deep end. I feel like my life is that way right now too. Just crazy!
Happy Birthday! I'm so sorry I missed it. When was it? I would be so happy to be turning 25! Instead I'll be 29 in a couple months. Yikes!
I can't believe I missed your birthday! I'm so sorry. Talk about the deep end - I think all of us are in it right now. All I can think about is getting this baby out of me! Anyway, my 26 birthday was yesterday and I had the opposite problem of you - Tons of people that told me happy birthday just had to add what a baby I was...I really think I have a complex now. Well, Evan is darling walking around. How come I haven't seen you guys lately?
Post a Comment