Thursday, September 6, 2007

Lost in the Queue

I can honestly say that I did not believe the voice on the phone at all. For the last 64 minutes it had been telling me that my time was valuable, but after 64 minutes, it hardly seemed sincere. Finally, I used my cell-phone to call the same number (the doctor's office) and got right through. I almost started to cry.

The secretary explained to me that my call had gotten lost in the queue. And, now the only appointment still available was at 1pm. Seeing that I had called at 8am, this was very frustrating to me. All I wanted to do was get my poor sick baby checked out. So they squeezed me in at 11, and by 12:45, I had a diagnosis of hand, foot and mouth disease. (Which was exactly what I thought it was before I brought him in, but it is always nice to get it verified.)

It would seem that when it rains, it pours. I am still treading water in the deep-end, and now we add a sick baby to the mix. He has been a real trouper though, only occasionally looking up at me with sad puppy dog eyes, touching his mouth and signing "hurt". He sure knows how to tug at my heart strings. Tylenol seems to ease his pain, and then he is back to his normal mischievous self.

Today he managed to outsmart the baby gate, and by the time I realised (I was getting dressed in the other room) he had opened the freezer and the oven, and had one leg swung up attempting to climb in to said oven. Thank goodness it wasn't on, but I think we need to baby-proof the kitchen instead of relying on the gate to keep him out, since he is obviously some sort of baby Houdini.

3 comments:

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I'm happy to see you have a new post but I am sorry to hear you have a sick kiddo! It is definitely NOT a fun time, but it's good that it's not too serious!

I have had a similar experience at the pediatrician's office before and ended up pretty infuriated! How in the world does one get lost in the queue??

Keri said...

the poor little man!!!!!! jacksons been all out of sorts too.. i hope hes better soon -- he even signs hurt?? oh man, that makes me cry just reading it!!!! -- hope you're hanging in there.. evan too... and as for the canon thing - DO IT girl. you'll never look back! ehehhehehe

hugs to all of you! :)

Jennifer said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear Evan isn't feeling good and that you were on hold for 64 minutes. WOW. I would be mad too. Glad they got you in though. Good luck babyproofing the kitchen.