Monday, April 21, 2008

Seizure

I have a recurring nightmare that I dial 911 and I am unable to get through to anyone. I hang up and try again, and still- either the line is dead, or no one answers. Thankfully this wasn't the reality Saturday night.

It began like any other night. Evan had his bath, brushed his teeth, read stories and gave the dogs and daddy a good night kiss. Chris closed the door, and one minute Evan was telling me the room was dark, the next he went limp and started jerking. My baby was having a seizure and I didn't know what to do.

I screamed for Chris, and he took Evan and lay him on the floor while I dialed 911. It probably only lasted a minute or so, but he was jerking all around- his eyes rolled back in his head, his mouth was foaming and his lips and face turned blue because he wasn't breathing. During this time I managed to give our address to the 911 operator, and she tried to keep me calm.

I wasn't calm at all though. Every worst case scenario was running through my head. Would that be the last time I got to read my baby bedtime stories? Would I get to kiss him goodnight again, or feel his warm breath as he whispered in my ear "nigh-nigh, mommy"?

When your child is in distress, their life- and their future flashes before you. Suddenly everything you hold dear is being held out of your reach. You are helpless.

He started to breath again but was totally limp and unresponsive. Chris carried him upstairs so we would be closer to the front door when the paramedics arrived. It only took them about 5 minutes to arrive- but it seemed like a lifetime. I remember sobbing to the operator "What is taking so long. He is my baby- please hurry".

His blood/oxygen level when the paramedics arrived was 81, and he was having some respiratory distress, so we needed to take him to the emergency room. I rode in the ambulance with Evan, and Chris drove the car to the hospital. They didn't have to put the sirens on, which I tried to tell myself meant he was okay, but it seemed to take forever to get there.

He had a fever of 104, and they diagnosed it as a febrile seizure. They gave him motrin and I nursed him and he fell asleep. They observed him for about 2 hours, and in that time his fever went totally down, and they also discovered he had an ear infection (his first one). They think that is what caused the fever.

They prescribed him antibiotics, and sent us home. We had him sleep with us that night-probably more for us than him. Last night I let him sleep in his own room, but I stayed up until 1am just checking on him. I just couldn't stop thinking of what would have happened if we had already put him to bed when the seizure happened.

They say 50% of kids who have these never have another, so please pray we are in that 50%.I don't ever want to see my baby like that again.

15 comments:

Sweet Whispers Photography said...

with tears for you, chris AND evan - PRAYING that never happens again... how terrifying... sending you BIG HUGS.. what a strong mommy you are.... xoxo

Janice said...

Oh my goodness, Andrea, I am so sorry you, Chris, and Evan had to experience something so scary! Poor sweet little Evan! I am so glad that he is doing ok!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

That just gave me chills. I am so happy that everything is OK and hope that nothing like that ever happens again! I cannot imagine how frightned you must have been!

Jeanette Krzyzek said...

Hi there,
Wow, I can certainly sympathize with you. I was watching my neighbors little girl while she was sick and the VERY same thing happened. It was terrifying. All I thought to do was to put her in the sink with cool water and try to cool her down as much as I could. It was horrible to see her face lose all color and her lips turn purple and eyes roll into her head! I've never been more scared in all my life. I'm sure if I were to listen to the 9-1-1 call recording, I would've sounded like a wreck! Anyway... I am very sorry you had to go through this. Evan too.

(fyi, my neighbors kid has not had another febrile seizure since. She gets high fevers when she gets sick, but no seizures! I hope your little man won't be prone to them as well! Good luck!)

j

Jeanette Krzyzek said...

Oh, by the way. I think it's great that you brought your camera along to document this episode. I just got back from vacation and while away, my 17 month old took a big digger and cracked out his front tooth and tore the skin that attaches from your lip to your gum line. (ouch!) We had to take him to the emergency dentist to have it all fixed..... and you know what? I too had my camera with me and tried my best to take a few snaps to document his (our) experience. Glad to see I'm not the only mom/photographer who photographs these types of things! Great job!

j

Jill said...

My heart sank into my chest when I read this. I pray for your family that you are in the 50% and that this experience was just a fluke. What a sweet baby boy.

shay said...

That's so scary! I'm glad that he seems to be feeling better! I'll pray he's the 50%, for sure!

Jennifer said...

Oh Andrea, I am so sorry you guys had to go through that. I am so glad to hear Evan is ok and I am praying he is in that 50% that it never happens again to. That sounds so scary.

kendra said...

There is nothing worse in the world than seeing your child go through something like that - I know how you feel, completely. I'm so glad Chris was with you. Both times it's happened to me I've been alone and how I wish Cameron could have been with me. I'm so happy Evan is well and I hope it never happens again. These are the things that haunt us at night but luckily, we can have peace that God is watching out for us. I hope his ear infection heels fast and he feels better soon. I'm really happy that he is okay.

starfitch said...

Andrea, I'm so sorry to read this!! At least you were at home with your husband. It's a moment we all pray we never have to experience, for sure. I'm glad it was febrile and I really hope it was a single incident. Poor brave little man....

Kasey said...

How scary, Andrea! Those pictures just make me so sad. Poor little guy. And poor you and Chris too. I hope he is feeling better. What a scare!

Denise said...

Amen to that prayer - no more seizures for your little one. Oh, I am SO sorry you went through that and thankful that he is okay. Ugh, that just hurts my mommy-heart.

Nancy K said...

Oh my goodness-SCARY!!!! Lets have no more of that!

Crystalyn said...

that is soooo scary! i know it was a little bit ago but i hope he is well. i've had to rush two of mine to the ER...not for seizures, but both for respiratory distress and it is so emotional and scary. glad it all worked out for you.

Crista said...

I got tears in my eyes reading this. I can't imagine the fear as a mother. I'm glad Evan is okay...